As originally constructed, the C.P.R. mainline through the Selkirk mountains crossed over the summit of Rogers Pass featuring steep grades and many snowsheds to protect the line against snow slides that plagued the area. To reduce the grade to manageable levels a series of loops was employed in the valley west of the summit. The eastbound train is travelling through a string of snowsheds after negotiating the loops which included four bridges besides the one in the picture. The completion of the Connaught tunnel under the pass in 1916 eliminated all of this trackage. The new line leading to the tunnel now runs straight along the middle of the valley which is once again heavily forested. A number of the stone piers that supported the bridges stand and can be explored from the Loops campground just off #1 highway.